I get 'cross

My journal of cyclocross
Follow Me

Memoirs of a Ruby



By  CJ Boom     11:50     
This is drivel, but you don't have to read it. I wrote it for myself to remember. You'll feel the same when a bike you've had for ages has to be suddenly snatched away via crash, theft or crack
If anything Specialized make well priced, well designed bikes. Buying a Spesh removes any kind of risk associated with a premium purchase. Ok they lack a bit of passion, heritage from the golden age of bike racing and well everyone's got the Big S so sadly it doesn't make you clever and your not that special.

My bicycle conquests
Ok, first bike ever ever was a Raleigh Blue Bird. Then we found another one in the woods so my sister and I rocked the same look for a while. Another time and another story.
First proper bike ever was a... you guessed it, a Specialized. Hardrock Sport to be exact, had it two weeks then it got nicked off the roof rack the day before a family cycling holiday around Amsterdam. Had to ride a random borrowed Trek for 2 weeks. Sucked.

Then I went to Uni (circ 2004) and I needed a bike to leave in the garden. What was it... a Specialized. This time a cromoly Sirrus. Found in skip, 19 inch frame, rammed the seat right down, skinny bars and stubby stem.
Covered the little beast in stickers - called it the Sticker Bike. Still got it. My sister rocks it to Herne Hill everyday.

I decided after living as a uni student for four years time had come to grow up, proper bike, proper goals.
You know when you just have those moments when you just want one really nice thing to own in your life. For some its a cars, a camera, a fishing rod. Decided for me it was a bike. Could I actually ride, er no. Had I ridden a bike for longer than 40 miles, er no. So anyways, why not buy a carbon full ultegra bike that will be ideal for a 1 hour ride...?

I did the usual shopping about, asked for a deal. I went with Specialized Ruby, had a better subtle look about it. At the time Ruby had just been released, it was a nod to the growing sector of female cyclists.
In the first road race after the winter I finished the race in 5th. From there I rode that bike all the time. A car hit me on it, I rode crits, sportives, everything.
Never let me down always comfortable. Old faithful.

New era
The Spesh was never a top dog, it was never designed to be a jaw dropping bike and plus it doesn't have uber components. I got the itch to get something uber - I bought a Look 555 frame on a deal I got, dressed it up with uber light carbon, ceramic chainrings, Dura-Ace, the works.
But when it comes down ito it I dare not ride it. Its upsetting but me and the Look never formed a bond. I brought that frame into the world, stuck a load of stuff on it but it never really developed and evolved into the machine the Ruby has come to be.

It's not a question of fit why with the Look. It's something I can't put my finger on.
I think it's because I treat the Spesh mean and it comes back fighting.
Smashed it over cobbles in the Arenberg forest (2008), did anything happen, no. Yes my arms ached after riding all the sectors of Paris Roubaix but I was able to ride the next day.

Early 2009 I got better as a rider after my first cross season. I removed the compact carbon cranks and stuck on standard Ultegra SL's at about the same time some jimmy whacked me on a roundabout I lost a lever and an O from my Oakleys and had to upgrade to Ultegra SL shifters.

A hairline crack has appeared between on the non driveside of the BB. The lacquer has slightly bubbled underneath it around the crack too.
Within half an hour it was sorted Specialized asked for the frame back and they will swap it out for another frame. Thing is they only have an S Works Ruby to exchange. Of course I said yes to it.



Epic events on Ruby
Purchased Autumn 2007
Rode a winter season on it 07-08
Won my first road race on the Ruby-2008
Rode a wet, cold and slightly snowy Tour of Flanders-2008
Rode Paris Roubaix-2008
Raced a season of Palace 2008;
Rode a complete winter on it 08-09
Rode sunny Tour of Flanders 2009
Raced at the Tour of Ireland on it. Grabbed a top 10 finish on stage 3 -2009
Rode down a canal in Belgium where Kristof Ramon took a picture
Rode Rapha's Hell of the North grave ride.



/*

About CJ Boom

*/

No comments:

Post a Comment